Sunday, April 22, 2012

CHEYENNE / ARAPAHO DRESSES


Cheyenne Dress  (replica) 
circa 1850
Although the original dress has been identified as Sioux, it displays decided Cheyenne characteristics, not only in the cut and shape but, for example - the large amount of black beads used in the beadwork.

Description: brain tanned deer skin, glass seed beads, hand cut fringe, clay earth pigment paints, trade cloth, etc.


EARTH MANTLE

I am of the earth and I wear my mantle with its many colors. The brown for fertile soil and the green for new growth. Many journeys have been made across the straight paths of red walking under the blue sky. I have gone many directions. Each thong represents a journey accomplished and the elk teeth have given me much stamina to do what I must do. I have great wealth. There are yet many mountains to climb and I know that my journeys will be blessed with Great Spirit along my way


This dress in a private collection in Wyoming



SOUTHERN CHEYENNE / ARAPAHO

Replica of a woman's dress - Southern Cheyenne or Arapaho - ca. 1890's Museum of Indian Arts and Culture, Museum of New Mexico

Description: clay pigment paints, hand cut fringes, red trade cloth, seed beads, tin cones, etc.

This dress is in a private collection in Utah





No comments:

Post a Comment